Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hills Hills Hills Hills Hills


Sometimes I kick myself for picking Boston as my first marathon... I could have gone for a flatter course like Chicago and avoided the hills (not to mention the snow, sleet, and freezing rain) but, in a way, I guess my ignorance is bliss. I don't know any other way to train for a marathon than with long hilly weekend runs and hill repeats once a week. When I think of running, I think "hills hills hills hills!"

If I plan out a route and it ends up being fairly flat, I feel like I'm missing something. It's not enough of a workout, I'm not preparing myself for what's ahead of me if my quads aren't burning at some point in the run.

Every Saturday, we run Heartbreak Hill and I'm starting to feel like I'm going to be okay. BUT it hits at mile 20ish on the Marathon route, compared to mile 12 on our longest runs. I haven't even run 20 miles yet, never mind running uphill at mile 20 and then going 6.2 more!

No comments:

Post a Comment